Search This Blog

2016/05/16

Log 2016051603

I wanted to take this time to write about my former improvised camper, which was humorously called "The Cramper."  To bring you up to speed, I converted my 2008 Chevy HHR with a piece of ply as the floor on 2x4 runners.  It split at 32" so that everything would fit during transport mode.  It was braced with a 4x4.  On that, I attached several pieces of 2x4 in a row and used pieces of aluminum angles to create a slot for some scissor jacks, which I put on cement rectangles as an adjustment in case the car wasn't parked on the level.

Today I want to talk about boon docking power.  This is when you need to power your electric gadgets without an external AC power supply.    It's not good to be attached to your car's battery power without knowing what you're draining from it.  I towed a small trailer, so I had a marine battery encased in a plastic box mounted to it that I could draw power from.  But on occasion, I also used a portable, rechargeable battery jump box.  It has a cigarette lighter power socket on it and I inserted a 120V power inverter into it to get a 3 prong outlet.  That ran my laptop computer watching 2 - 43 minute episodes a day for about 4 nights.  I also carried 2 spare charged laptop batteries that I used before this.  You might be able to get high capasity batteries for yours, but a normal size one like that which comes from the factory lasts about 3 days at this rate.  And that's taking into account that it's charging the smartphone at the same time and you should make sure that your computer's batteries power settings are set conservatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment