Search This Blog

2016/05/10

Log 2016050910

I'm gonna start with bad gas.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, I purchased an older motorhome.  The fuel gauge doesn't work and I was told that it only had about 5 gallons in it when it got it.  After I went to the gas station, the pump filled a half of a tank.  I'm not much of a mechanic, but I am a computer repair guy.  It has a method that says execute the solution starting with the simple things first.  Let's assume that it's spring now and that gas sat in the tank since last summer.  Gas goes bad after 90 days.  So along with that assumption, there's 20 gallons of bad gas and the other half is 87 octane.  Had I known that that there was this much gas to begin with, I would have filled it up with 91, or 93 octane and bounced on the bumper a few times.  But maybe I could do an octane booster instead and see how that goes?

Today, I was installing the positive lead to the new cigarette lighter power port to a bolted cluster just outside of the positive battery terminal.  I was about to mount it under the dash on the driver's side in the cab.  But I realized that I didn't have a Phillips screw driver, or a bit for my 3/8th drill.  And I also didn't have an extension cord to get power from a nearby building in the storage facility to get power from.

Why don't I have proper equipment... well, that's another story.

So without power, there's was no way to charge the auxiliary batteries to get indoor power.  Without the batteries, there's no way to turn the generator on.  And with all that said, there was no power for the drill to bore a hole so the coax cable for the cellular signal booster could escape.

But I did install my new bike rack to the hitch today.  It installs around the bar of trailer hitch ball mount so I can still tow something.  From the ball hitch mount, it has a 2" square tube that goes up and then curves perpendicular.  The rest of the mount sits on that, but there's an open end at the top of that curved tube.  I don't like that it's open.  This thing is pricey and I don't like the idea that it could rust from the inside.  So what I did is get a trailer hitch mounted brake light.  But since it doesn't need to come off, I just want it to always be connected.

Well, I spoke to two employees at the local auto parts store and one of them told me that I would have to install an entirely new wiring harness.  I'm not ready to do that yet, so I use what I already have.  And when the trailer is hitched, I'll just switch the plug and drive with the brake light mounted to the bike rack unpowerd (it's not legally necessary).

Buckeye TrailFest starts on the 12th.  When I registered, I didn't have the motorhome, so I didn't reserve a space for one.  But I made a call today and I'm crossing my fingers that they might be able to accommodate it.

Note to self... a set of jumper cables from my car (which I have) might be able to charge the auxiliary batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment