Search This Blog

2016/05/15

Log 2016051501

I have Walmarts and truck stops in Ohio mapped out. I pulled data from various sources and compiled them into one file on Google Earth, then uploaded it to my tablet. But I'm certain that it's not comprehensive. I've been using the Locus Pro app on Android for a while because it has off-line maps and it helps when navigating to some places on the Buckeye Trail. The GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in a smartphone are separate components that are soldered into it's mainboard. It functions whether I have signal or not. The only thing that I need the Internet for is to download new maps.

Well, Locus lets me download them ahead of time (unlike Google Maps) and use them off-line as needed. From there, the GPS displays my position on them. It also stores and overlays any custom routes, or waypoints (such as the Walmart locations) that I create and also works off-line. With Verizon, this usually happens in remote areas of the state that are far from primary highways and interstates. Since the cell phone signal booster only works when the motorhome is stationary, I still need the off-line data.

No comments:

Post a Comment