Search This Blog

2018/01/02

Early Warning System

I've always been good at the BT's maps, it's fixed amenities and generally anticipating where multi-day hikers will be next?  So, I've made a map based on an entry level thru hiker's abilities depicting where they'd most likely be 10 days out from the The Wilderness Loop in both directions.  And since the Road Fork and Whipple Sections are both North Country Trail (NCT) concurrent, 10 days out had to be tracked on the Great Trail Sandy Beaver Chapter span of that trail when it's independent in NE Ohio.

For my North Country mock hike written simulation, one of the next steps is to devise some mile markers based on campsites, campgrounds, lodging, or the intersections to these.  I had to get Great Trail Sandy Beaver's started for what I'm calling my "Early Warning System."

There are ways that I can track a thru hiker.  One is that I can follow them on Facebook.  Two is that if I get their cell numbers, we can text.  Three is that they let me follow their location somehow.  The Maps app (which is Google Maps) lets users do this.  The early warning map is on Google Earth and is more of a quick reference.

If they're more powerful than entry level thru hikers, I can still anticipate their arrival, it's just done on the pattern of their daily progress instead.  That would still give me some idea.  This was done for Adventurer's Project and a chapter that may come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment