Search This Blog

2018/01/15

Data Extracted - ND, WI & MN, Relabeled C Data and Mile Markers

I extracted the trails and roads necessary to reach campsites and lodging along the North Country Trail in North Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota.  It was necessary for the placement of placemarks to make mile markers in the various states.  I cut it from NFS's data and pasted it in to mine.  But I don't think I really need to have that at hand.  Right now, all I need to do just display NFS's data and then put a placemark down.  I noticed that Michigan's NCTA mile markers were going in the westbound direction, while North Dakota's were in the eastbound.  I'm now going to make my markers westbound. 

All you do is open the properties of one of my chapter/ affiliate tracks with the "measurements" tab showing and backspace from the end of the track until I come upon a campsite, campground, lodging, or a road or trail that leads to those, then record the mileage in the preset placemarks as I go.  All measurements that don't show a decimal point, or those that are really close together will need to be read in inches, then divided by 63,360 (inches in a mile) to get a decimal.   If the measurement is a double digit number that has a decimal smaller than 0.1, Google Earth doesn't even bother reading it.

I also re-labeled all of the unnamed campsites from the point data issued by the NCTA.  So far, it's all for my personal records.

No comments:

Post a Comment