Search This Blog

2016/06/27

Log 2016062701

Merging the Superior Hiking Trail into one track shouldn't be too hard.  From what I'm seeing so far, it's on Google Maps.  The way it looks, it would need to be retracked in Google Maps Engine in thirds to have enough of those relocation circles, then merged with GPS Visualizer.  In order to save on those circles, I recommend rerouting Maps' track from both ends.

I'm testing the accuracy of my Maps route in Google Earth against Superior's GIS data.  If it doesn't match up in an area, I have Google Maps Engine in my Chrome browser with bottom of the window moved up to see the global coordinates (in decimal degrees) when Google Earth is under it.  When the area is the last thing that I hovered in in Google Earth, I keep my mouse in the same places as I press ALT + Tab on my keyboard and switch to Chrome.  That keeps the coordinates in place.

Once in chrome, I can move my mouse over the search field in Google Maps Engine and I'll type Earth's coordinates and press Enter.  When the map moves to that area, I can see if there's another trail in the area that matches the GIS's route.  If so, I'll reroute and move the track to the correct path.  When that's done, I'll save the revised route as KML to my hard drive, then open it in Google Earth and delete the incorrect track from before.

If there isn't a route on Google Maps as specified by an distance trail agency's, then I'll go back to Google Earth and delete the track anchors in between the affected points.  I'm doing this as a part of a North Country Trail project, so I like to work from east to west.  At this point, I have to redraw the correct path by hand starting in the east according to NCT's progression.  The tracks have to written in the same direction to be merged.

A rail grade on the Superior Hiking Trail (North Country Trail concurrent) appears on the map.  However Google Maps Engine won't route through it at 47.142827, -91.692487 that is north of Stewart, Minnesota.  Satellite mode revealed that there's no longer a crossing there as if the road that it was on was shut down.  If your working with this trail like I am, you'll need to get a track segment to end at it, then import it in to Google Earth and open it's properties.  Once there, you need to extend the route over the tracks by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment