Search This Blog

2019/08/24

Work on Van Today

I ran the rear right positive speaker wire, but not the left yet.  I'm waiting to take off the dog house (interior engine hump cover) on my 1987 Chevy G20 Sportvan.  I have four gauges, three of which  and possibly two 12 gauge positive wires have to get through the firewall.  At present, I'm not sure how to disassemble the steering column to get to the ignition positive wire?  The dog house has to come off because there's access to the bottom of the stereo when it's off.

When I opened the lid of one of my bins in the cargo hold, a couple of sharp pointed screws fell to the floor.  The floor is rusting and has holes.  So, now I'm thinking of pulling them back out and vacuuming the floor after all?

I've been reading through a forum regarding stereo speaker wire.  That positive 12 gauge positive that I want to run to the tailgate for the tire inflator to reach the rear wheels will have to run along a different channel, or they risk creating noise on the speakers due to cross talk.

I was working with the new passenger's side seat belt today.  Turns out that I'm going to have to use the stock Chevy seat belt holder and mount.  It's just a bar that extents from the corner of the roof and left side body.  The problem is that I was able to cut the replacement's upper loop to get the new belt out.  But modifying the stock holder is going to require some serious sawzall time because it's thick and automotive grade.  My plan is to cut a slit right down the middle of the stock holder's loop to try and squeeze the new seat belt through it.

I have no idea what the back of a fuse box looks like?  Guess I'll find out tomorrow?  I'm running a custom 12V power port to my 3 way splitter so that it definitely has enough power to handle multiple 3.1A devices.  I did this on my former Chevy HHR and on my motorhome and I like it a lot.  Now that rear port is going to get everything that tire inflator can handle.

I definitely like working on cars in the evenings.  Here in Far SE Ohio, it gets sweaty hot during the day in the summer.  I'm thinking about changing it's oil soon because what's in there is new, but it's full of Seafoam.  I didn't change the oil when the engine was still warm.  That could have more easily removed any engine shavings.  But in guessing the engine temp, it could be somewhat risky.  It's a gloves on and long sleeve shirt procedure.  What needs to go back in it is 4 quarts of 10W-30 (I think???) and some Lucas Oil additive.

No comments:

Post a Comment