Search This Blog

2019/08/14

Oil Filter and Plug

Yesterday, I drained the oil in my 1987 Chevy G20 Sportvan.  Because I had the wrong oil filter and the auto parts store was going to open until the next day, I kept the oil plug and filter off and let it drain overnight.  It hit the dew point last night, so I kept them off throughout the day to try and evaporate anything that may have condensed inside the engine block.

Today, I got the right filter.  I installed that and put the plug back in it's hole.  I'm going to wait until I mount the new starter tomorrow before I replace the motor oil.

I normally do my work in a gravel driveway.  Either my 3 ton jack stands were digging into the soil hard core, or those black struts on it were about to snap?  When I was working on it the day before, I had my 3-1/2 ton shop jack up against the bottom of the conversion van just in case.

When I did the oil, I got under the van from the front, which there's a platform under the engine that extends to the front wheels.  I jacked it up to get past that.  But what I didn't realize is that if I approached it from the sides, I don't have any running foot boards under the doors, so just like my motorhome, I can just get under the van without jacking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment