Search This Blog

2019/08/25

Van Work, Part II, or is it III?

The front and back auxiliary power ports were installed today.  The back one is has been attached to my four pin trailer wiring harness.  This thing is ready for driving and for some primitive parking in The Wayne now.  With both power ports, I can now reach all four wheels in case one of them needs to be inflated.  I can now also drop my tire pressure for gravel roads, but then pump back up for pavement and better gas mileage.

I changed my mind with using the provided gauge mounts that I got in their packages.  I saw somebody cut their holes in the dashboard and that's what I did.  The tachometer is on the upper right and I can see it very good.  One of the spots wasn't so advantageous, so I saved it for the gauge that I wouldn't need so often.

Listening to a couple Loreena McKennit albums went well today. 

I need to get a task list for a certain sequence of events.  But I have to drill holes in the roof support structures to slip zip ties through.  I made an error when routing the right rear stereo speaker wire.  I routed the wires parallel to the overhead light's power wire.  I had to get them out of the channel because sound wires next to parallel power wires causes interference in the speakers.  Right now, the driver's side is the electrical one and the passengers is the sound.  So those holes need to be drilled and wire ran.  My strategy is to mark the right channels with a piece of Gorilla tape at the bottom.  Then the left channels will use electrical tape so I know what's what when I get to the stereo in the dash.

Power wise, the the wires that run to front auxiliary port is always on because it was ran directly to the positive cable on the battery.  My plan is to hook the stereo's "always on" wire to it.  That's what keeps the clock running when the engine is off.  The speaker wires from the rear are coming.  But I'll have to take the entire dashboard out to get to the front speakers.  And with the van being stripped down, it's a mystery as to whether any necessary hardware is present.  But I'll probably have to take it down anyways to drill a hole for my new, aftermarket AM/ FM antenna?

For all power items to the gauges and stereo, I'm thinking that one 16 gauge wire ought to do it?  Then there's the power leads that are for when the headlights are on.  One 16 gauge wire ought to do that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment