Search This Blog

2016/02/23

Log 2016022301

Always exit Google Earth before you go to bed, or leave the computer for long periods of time.  While I don't know all the facts, I believe that the longer the map is positioned over one area, the more detail it's going to download (and continuously so).  That image and it's associated files might take up an increasingly large size, which have to be brought through fixed resources such as the RAM (memory) and the CPU.  I find that if I leave the application on over night as I sleep, when I go to get back on the computer, it freezes and I have to perform a hard restart [by pressing the power button on the case for 6 seconds, it powers off, then I press it for less than one second to power it back on, or the reset button (most PC brands don't have one of these)].

I was just sifting through the Continuous Short Hikes document from 2013 and I was trying to identify the resource points that it was using on the on the map.  Why just this year, I did an investigation that found that about 74% of the Buckeye Trail could be hiked at roughly 10 miles per day without transit.  But by OTHR's method, that number was only about 38% in 2013.  The OTHR method requires that the streak begin and end at regional transit, or be in range or transit range of it.  So, without having done a recent OTHR one, it's hard to tell, but I looks like some long strings of days had to be cut in order to meet the standard.  But on the other hand, there's a few more transit options these days.

- I just discovered that transit hiker can indeed reach the Toledo Express Airport via the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority (TARTA) from the Buckeye Trail at Waterville.  The trip would entail having reservations to ride the #29 (Waterville) and 04 (Spencer Township) Call-a-Rides.  This is where the the #04 would drop the transit hiker off at the Kitty Todd Nature Preserve.  The hiker would then walk 2.7mi to the airport.

They're both classified as "hybrid fixed routes" in the OTHR.   They're like dial-a-ride service in that way that they have zones.  The #04 Spencer Township Call-a-Ride does come within 4.0 walking miles of the North Country Trail in the Oak Openings Metropark, but TARTA requires somewhere to pull into, so they won't just get pick-up/ drop-off on the side of the road.  By the time the transit hiker could enter the zone by the nearest means possible, they only have about a half mile left under the 4.0 mile restriction and there's just nowhere public for them to go around there. I know this because I drove out there to search the area in person.  This part of the North Country Trail is 4.1 miles away from the Park-n-Ride and being within the Waterville Call-a-Ride zone.  It's about 740' shy/

Well, for the most part, I just edited the guide back down to grammar checking.  And the map's probably in condition to be packaged in to sections and independent arms with their respective transit amenities.  That will be in Google Earth's native KML format, which will probably total about 32.  They'll need to be converted one by one into the GPX format, which is the format that works on most GPS enabled devices.

Today, I spent time adding regional, interstate and international transit information to all dial-a-ride type agencies that only cater to the disabled.  They have a few more regional and interstate transit options.  Other than that, I eliminated a number of unmaintained amenity spurs in the BT's south because they exceeded 3.0mi.  With the exception of the Road Fork and Whipple Sections - BT/ NCT, everywhere from Belle Valley Section 25 to Shawnee Section 25 is what I schedule at generally 15 miles per day maximum.  With generally 20's, I use 4.0mi as the maximum for a spur.  At 15's, they get cut down to 3.0 and 10's down to 2.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment