Search This Blog

2016/02/20

Log 2016022001

I wrote a blog yesterday regarding how to do an unassisted thru hike from the mail to The Wilderness Loops using an 19 mile long unmaintained by-pass of the AEP Recreation Land on-road.  Again, I'd like to stress that North Country Trail hikers are not affected by this since their not routed on the main loop from Belle Valley (BV) Section, Point 25 to Stockport 07 on the current map & guides.  BV 25 is Road Fork (RF) 01.  From the westbound direction's point of view, North Country is routed over the RF and Whipple Sections to Stockport 07.

While I'm still pursuing another remedy, I was thinking that if we were confined to that option, my volunteer crew and I would have to rig the Whipple Section for a counter clockwise (CCW) hike.  It could do it now.  But, in the past, CCW navigation has been undesirable on the Wilderness Loop.  Navigating against the way the guide is written can be confusing and cause the hiker to stop more, even on sections that are easier to navigate.

One theory that I've had is that the RF and Whipple map & guides could be written to favor the CCW direction so that in concert with the main loop, when the points are in order, the loops act like two gears whose teeth always turn into together.  But I just got to thinking that this would make North Country's navigation more difficult as it would have to flow the opposite way.  We seem to have a situation where the only way that we're solve it on the ground.

So, I'd have to walk it out sometime.  I'm the only one on the section with distance hiking experience.  It would come down to me being able to anticipate places that might confuse CCW hikers and painting a few more blazes to help ease hiker's efficiency woes.  Stopping decreases stamina.  And a loss of stamina decreases efficiency.  As a hiker, I see myself a "backwards person."  I love the road.  But sometimes, the best thing that maintainers could do for an on-road hiker is get them off.  It's like identifying that there's a force out there that you just can't beat.  And sometimes when you can't beat it, you join it.  The ultimate goal for the Whipple Section is to earn good reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment