Search This Blog

2018/03/24

Trail Manual - Mileage Sheets

Let's recap... I've been writing a mileage sheet for a book that I wish to deploy at two shelters on The Wilderness Loop - Buckeye Trail (North Country partially concurrent).  Parts of the book are location specific, including the mileage sheets.  The mileage sheets are based on the mile markers that I have for the Buckeye and North Country Trails.  They were derived from the merged tracks that I have for them, but accumulative mileages have never been tabulated until I started this project.

There may be inaccuracies in what I'm writing in the books.  This thing might need a disclaimer?  That's because when North Country chapter spans are larger than 99.9 miles, Google Earth's measurements tab rounds up or down to the nearest whole number.  What I wish I would have done was converted them to inches, use a calculator and divide by 63,360 to get the mileages for each section with a decimal place in the ten thousandths.

The first thing that I do on a project like this is accumulate the mileage from one section terminator to another from one of the shelter until the both trails are completed.  Then for the mileage sheet, it lists villages, cities and other locations.  Having the terminator measurements makes it easier to use the section's mile markers.  Mine are done every tenth of a mile.  But if I had to do it over again, I'd have them made to every hundredth.  I just added, or subtracted (depending on the direction I was working on) the locations mileage to the last reported terminator.

I've worked on the book's minor differences for the Road Fork On-Road Shelter.  I found that there are some mileages that I forgot to fill in and I really don't know why?  And I'm pretty satisfied that the numbers are in for the other shelter now.

So here's how updating it goes.  We don't have the volunteers in Far SE Ohio to stay up with Buckeye and North Country Trails "around the clock..." it's quite impossible right now.  Any corrections will have to be done during the cold days when we don't have any maintenance, or trail promotion.  Additionally, the roads to access those shelters may be impassable to anything other than 4WD vehicles and we may not be able to issue the books new corrections until the snow thaws and exposes the gravel road surfaces?

But in the end, the hikers can reference these sheets and the next day, they can write their fans and support that they're a certain distance from somewhere, perhaps their ultimate destination?  I know Buckeye thru hikers and I believe that they would spend a few minutes studying this sheet?

No comments:

Post a Comment