Search This Blog

2017/01/24

Smartphone At Your Desk

When mapping, one thing that I use sometimes is my smartphone.  By a controversial definition that is still in play from the 1970's, a smartphone is a computer.  Most of the time, I like using it as a calculator because it doesn't detract from what's already going on with The Robot (my desktop computer).  What I use is a round weighted base that more so marketed for automobile dashboards.  It has a plastic disc mounted in the top center.  This is where I use a smartphone windshield mount with a long goose neck and suction cup at the bottom.  From there, the smartphone's constrictor squeeze the device and hold it in to place.

From time to time, the plastic cup looses suction where the goose neck and smartphone fall over.  If I had to do it again, I would use some plastic putty from JB Weld and permanently attach it.  A thin layer on the suction cup ought to do.

The goose neck should last indefinitely, but the smartphone mount's side constrictors have foam like padding.  After a while from being depressed a lot, the padding will become ineffective.  There are two things that I can do about that.  One is that I might be able to use thin strips of duct tape to adhere to pieces of rubber foam insulation used on pipes.  The other is to buy another backplate and goose neck, but only use the new backplate on the existing stem.  In case you don't know, the backplate has a slot that allows you to separate it from the goose neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment