Search This Blog

2019/01/30

Additional Electric Heater and Main Breaker Blown

It got down to about 0°F last night and once again, the pipes froze around 15°F.  But I'm coming to find out that they're freezing inside.  So, I went to the local hardware store and purchased a baby electric heater.  My idea was that if I turned it on under the master bed, then I can heat the pipes?  My laptop, tablet, smartphone and the microwave are on the 20amp circuit.  My already existing ceramic heater was on my 15amp circuit.  Considering that there the 20amp had a lot of energy star compliant, low wattage devices on it, I figured that it might handle the load.

The 20amp circuit wasn't the issue.  The load blew the main.  So, I went back to the hardware store.  Then I went to the other hardware store.  Neither had a 20amp and 15amp mini switch combination breaker.  I had some thing to do today, but I knew this was going to cost me... in time.  So, I drove about an hour one way to the RV store to get this breaker, got gas in the car and came about an hour back.  I was so slick in some places on one of the highways that I didn't really know if I was going to make it into a valley on one?

With the main out, the heat was as well.  In about 3 hours, the motorhome's living area lost about 19°F. I found the interior temperature to be at 40°F.  Certain electronics can be sensitive should never go below 37°F.  I turned on my "Portable Buddy" by Mr. Heater.  It's a propane heater.  At 40°F, the inside temperatures started to rise with just this heater itself.  I didn't have time to see how it really performs under the circumstances because I had the new breaker in.  But I'm going to have to order backup, replacement 20/15's soon just in case this happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment