Search This Blog

2019/01/13

Motorhome in the Winter

Currently, I'm in Woodsfield of Monroe County, Ohio.  And I'm camping next to full time oil and gas workers with full hook-ups.  At around an outdoor air temperature around 30°F, my heat pump on my combination heat/ A/C roof unit probably gets my 1988 motorhome upto about 56°F?  I have a ceramic heater and I keep it around 65°F.  Right now, I turned it's mode up from "Eco" to "Lo" and it's turning on and off like it should.  Right around a 23°F daytime high is where I might have to turn it on to full time "Hi" mode?

There's something wrong with my converter.  My batteries won't charge from the engine, or the generator.  I think that tells me that wherever they intersect is bad.  Since I'm at my laptop right now, the box on its power cable is not a surge protector, but an AC to DC converter.  Considering that the motorhome probably channels more power than that, I bet that the cylindrical device on the back side of the auxiliary battery compartment is the problem.

The power to the hot water tank is routed through that area.  I have a 20ft set of jumper cables that I've been charging the auxilliaries with from time to time and I know that the panel over the stove will work when the batteries have charge.  Also, my LP gas tank has been empty for about 2 years.  I'm not even sure if it will hold it's gas anymore.  And my LP gas sensor needs replaced.  I think it's missing a wire and that it's under the refrigerator?  But I do have a portable LP camper heater onboad and 40lbs of propane standing by in case the power goes out.

I'm fortunate to have a camp host who doesn't mind however much electricity that I use.  But for most of you out there, you're going to want to have a working LP system.

No comments:

Post a Comment