Search This Blog

2016/07/03

Log 2016070301

I took the photo of the mysterious two hoses to Advanced Auto Parts today and they tell me that they are definitely supposed to be connected.  Apparently, I have a broken air pump check valve, which I wasn't in stock, but it's on order and should arrive on the afternoon of the 5th.  The clerks at the store told me with this broken the way it is, that the cab's computer might not be registering the right pressure and it could be causing everything and anything (including my power loss).  Since I know that the head gasket isn't cracked or blown and the exhaust doesn't have any color, both the fuel filter and pump are new, a vacuum tube or hose has to be the problem.  Even under the best of chances, I usually account for minority odds and reserve myself somewhat.  But given how the motorhome runs without the air breather hose being connected, I'm feeling good that this air pump check valve is it.

Afterwards, I went to the flea market and purchased some 20 inch windshield wipers for about $16 together.  They were RainX that normally go for about $18 a piece, so I couldn't pass that up.  What I was really looking for was a used shop jack.  I need to have one of their levers on hand in case I have to dismount a tire.  I have a breaker bar, but I'd rather have 5 feet of collapsible leverage over it just in case.  I can get a bar from the home improvement store, but it won't transport as well if it's one piece.  The bar from a shop jack separates in two at the middle and it's something that I can easily store in the motorhome somewhere.

From there, I drove to the nearest truck stop (30 miles away) to try and find some tire valve extenders to no avail.  This truck stop isn't very large.  With it only being 10:30am, I drove 73 miles to the nearest Camping World store and picked some up there.  I now have a set that I can mount extensions to all four rear tire stems (duallies) and route them to the holes in the hub caps.  Right now, I have to take them off in order to fill the tires with air.

So right now, it's just a matter of getting the air pump check valve on the 5th.  Then installing it on the 6th.  I still haven't got a call about a mechanic yet, so changing the spark plugs, wires, distributer and rotor could happen as late as the 10th due to the current weather forecast.  I'm reading on-line that I should prepare for the spark plug replacement to be an all day affair.  Even Haynes (in their repair manual) says that replacing the #1 spark plug is in an inconvenient location.  Right now, I've got the manual in the house ready to study the removal of the alternator just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment