Search This Blog

2015/12/16

Log 2015121602

I haven't completed the Buckeye Trail circuit, but I've been working on it lately and I'm down to 195 miles and 4 sections in South Central Ohio, so I generally know almost everything from traveling in a car to get around.  What I can tell you is that the township roads within the proclamation boundary of Wayne National Forest and those just outside of it on the Road Fork and Whipple Sections are the worst in the state.  This is especially true after the winter in April and May.  Right around June is when township maintainers get done with grating those gravel roads.  So, if you're going to be a hiker in these units and areas and you drive a non-4WD vehicle, I recommend that you base your hikes to take place from parking areas that are off county and state roads.  They tend to be paved and that should save your suspension.  I have GPS public parking data for the entire Buckeye Trail circuit.

As a Whipple Section Supervisor, I originated from NE Ohio.  I own a Chevy HHR and sometimes the residents along the section look at me like I'm crazy for not owning something larger.  When the roads are in bad shape, I have to drive it like a rally (a dirt and mud track race with Chevy Cavaliers and Subarus) so I don't get stuck in a valley.  During those times, I often can't miss a bump, or I have to scrape the engine manifold, or gas tank when the car bottoms out.  But I can perform Whipple's maintenance by parking in areas that don't use those roads.  But, it took a whole year of being on the ground to devise this strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment