Search This Blog

2015/12/13

Log 2015121203

I finished the digital mile markers for all 26 sections on the Buckeye Trail.  15 of them are based on modified tracks whose length measurement does not agree with the Buckeye Trail Association's Map Team official totals.  The other 11 do.

There could be a number of reasons for this. First is that the GIS and the Map Team's measurement were taken independently.  While the surveyors wheel probably stayed on the road's surface as much as possible so that I could get the most traction, some of the GIS on-road tracks were taken as far into the right of way as legally possible.  Second, it's possible that one of them might be incorrect off-road.  Third, my tracks are "modified."  Meaning that I used Google Maps to recreate the on-road, then merged them with the GIS's off-road.  Who knows what that could have done.  And finally, I may not have merged the sections correctly.  On many of the sections, I stopped being so meticulous about preping to merge the sections.  So some of the anchors on the merged track might actually correspond to it overlapping and I wouldn't know?  Finally, some of the tracks appear to parallel the road by 20ft or so. But that could just be caused by light refraction in the satellite imagery and the only way to prove that is to hike it in person on the most ideal day with my hand GPS and have it to set record a track on the most discriminate setting.  Then get it back to my computer and compare.

The My Places are now saved to Google Earth as well as to a KML file on my cloud storage. At this point, I can now proceed with routing a mock hiker for the 10 Mile Per Day Continuous Hikes w/o Transit.  Last night, The Robots CPU kept exceeding 122°F/ 50°C.  After about 54°F, the system would interrupt my movie and shut down the computer.  My guess is that my CPU was overheating.  There's not a lot of dust caked up inside the chassis.  So the CPU might be going terminal now?

No comments:

Post a Comment