Search This Blog

2015/12/10

Log 2015121001

These is what I use for my Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource (OTHR) & Buckeye Trail (BT) Section Supervisor tasks.

This is refurbished HP Laserjet 4000tn commercial printer.  It's the type of HP printer that was once used in my high school.  I use hi capacity, refurbished black and white toner cartridges that yield about 15,000 printed pages.

This is a computer case.  It's a MozartTX.  When I first got it 6 years ago, I was using it as a server.  But these days since I don't need those services anymore, the unit connects to the TV and is what's called a "media center."  It's dimensions are approximately 24in L x 18in W x 36in H.  It has 20 USB ports, expansion Wi-Fi, sound and video cards.  Then 2 DVD - RW drives (I hardly use these) and a front side card reader.  The CPU is a low grade Intel Quad Core (PGA 775) that's maxed out on 8GB of RAM.  It has 10 cooling fans mounted to the frame and one in my 750 watt power supply unit.  I built this unit and other computer enthusiast would have preferred them all to have LED lights.  To me, it really didn't matter.

The story goes that I was living east of Cleveland at the time and I drove to Micro Center (a computer super store) of NE Ohio and saw this case.  The only one that they had was the display.  And I jumped up and down and said that I wanted it.  So the sales person put a hold on it, but while I was gone, another employee sold it.  So she called me and said that it was gone.  But we lined up one in Columbus.  And I wanted this thing so ridiculously bad that we put a hold on it and I drove 150 miles one way to Columbus and got it there.  After I got home, I proceeded to assemble my dream machine.

I've been working with custom built IBM based computers since 1995.  And when this computer has to get everything wiped out and re-installed, it is the hardest machine that I've ever worked with because it's always riddled with something that doesn't want to install, or it has hardware conflicts.  But once it's up, it's a stable system that can run for years on end.

This is the setup at my desk.  The laptop is on a tray with a swing arm.  To the left of it is an all in one color printer/ scanner.  The printer heads on it are currently ceased, so I just use it for the scanner at the moment.  The monitor is 17" Acer on a pole that clamps to the edge of the desk and gives it a 6in boost.  Next to the printer is a refurbished commercial grade shredder.

I use an ergonomic keyboard and trackball because when working on the OTHR while developing a new edition, I start to get carpal tunnel like symptoms with traditional peripheral devices.  As shown on the right, that is my 42" plasma screen TV.  Sometimes it doesn't work right and the picture gets fuzzy for days on end.  But I haven't had cable TV for 8 years because I keep myself constantly busy.

My white boards.  You could say that there's no problem that these can't solve.  The two long ones are there for text.  But the big one's primary purpose is for designs and layouts.

Now about the more so... BT functions...  planning for trail promotion in the Mid Ohio Valley has been ongoing for the last 2 months.  At the moment, I'm waiting for the communities to publish their schedules.  Also, I'm waiting for a marketing plan.  It's a part of a volunteer's Ohio University senior project and I'm anticipating that it probably won't be available sometime around April 23rd, 2016.  I'll need these white boards to help me plan the who, what, when, where, why, how, cost, attire and who's affected.

Once done, then I'll type it in Notepad as a rough draft, print it out and proofread it.  After revisions are made, the text gets copied and transfered to WordPad as a second draft.  It get's edited, styled with something like like bolded and italic text get made, then printed and proofread again.  After that, it gets copied into a word processing application where it's spell checked, looked over again, then printed and placed into a transparency page in my section supervisor's binder.  And OTHR's guide gets edited in a similar fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment