Search This Blog

2015/12/13

Log 2015121301

Resumed routing for the 10 Mile Continuous Hikes w/o Transit today.  I started clockwise with the Medina and Bedford Section, where I met my previous work at the Burton Section.  Previously, I had it done through the Bowerston Section, so resumed routing at the Belle Valley Section.  Currently, I completed the Loveland Section on the main loop.  At present, the longest streak is 18 hiking days long in South Central Ohio.

I'm doing this project not only as a comparison for OTHR, but mostly in the spirit of the Buckeye Trail Association's initiative of one day having a campsite every 10 miles.  My data could be translated into a Google Earth map (a visual aid) that could show staff and volunteers where new amenities in specific places could bring them closer to the goal.  That map would also need to come with 26 polygons that represent 8 mile corridors (4 walking miles on each side of the trail) as to establish a zone, or quick reference.

The days that don't exceed 10.0 miles would be in a green colored track.  Days between 10.0 and 12.5 miles will be in yellow.  And any areas that are gapped (lack of amenities within 12.5 miles) will be in red.  This is a project for the future, maybe even next winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment