Search This Blog

2015/10/16

Log 2015101601

I purchased Windows 10 Professional today from Micro Center in Mayfield Heights of Cuyahoga County today and a new 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card that inserts into a slot on the the motherboard, inside the computer case.  The USB card claims that it's compatable with Windows 8.1 and there was nothing in the store that was proven to work with 10.  Microsoft skipped 9 in their version numbering, so I'm hoping that the card will work if I do a Windows 10 fresh install.

I attempted to upgrade from my present Windows Vista Ultimate operating system, but Windows 10 the setup didn't like either Vista, or my 32 bit system.  So, I'll have to try a fresh installation of 10, which means re-installing and re-configuring every piece of hardware and application.  That too long last time.

With my media center computer being 7 years old and for the most part, I couldn't power down the hardware when I wasn't using it because it's been used like a server and I didn't like the lag time when my laptop had to wake it up from a remote public Wi-Fi.  The last that I knew, CPU's only last +/- 10 years, so it's time could be coming up soon.  The plan is over the next couple months to upgrade to a new quad core, a 64 bit motherboard and maybe a new 1,200 watt power supply.  And with the motherboard, that will probably mean new SDRAM modules.

With my media center's case being so large, it has the capacity to hold and interface a second CPU and SDRAM on a smaller motherboard to the main one.  With Ohio Transit Hikers Resource, normally, I only enable the view on Google Earth for the immediate area that I'm working on to save computer resources.  But sometimes, I have to turn all of Buckeye, North Country and part of American Discovery Trails, while overlaying them with everything from the resource on occasion.  Because of North Country Trail's 4,500 miles, it can bog my computer down.

No comments:

Post a Comment