Search This Blog

2015/10/01

Log 2015100101

I'm working with one of my computer's at the moment.  It's a large custom built, Intel Core Quad with 8GB of RAM, four physical hard disk drives, two dvd burners, 16 USB ports and it's all inside of a 3ft tall case that I call "The Robot."  It's configuration is that of a "media center" that was designed for storing and playing movies over my 42" plasma screen TV.  Right now, it's the most powerful machine that I have and at times, it barely gets the job done when working with the Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource.  Most of the hardware is 7 years old.  Central Processing Units (CPU's) are only rated for about 10 years.

Before I left for Marietta, one of the hard disks failed and now the main disk with the operating system just went.  The truth is that the motherboard, CPU, and RAM need to be replaced and the 750W power supply needs to get upgraded to something like a 1200W to help boost the performance of the system to fluently handle everything that OTHR has to throw at it.

Before Marietta, I was living in a room where the ambient humidity got well below 30% and I know that I subjected the chassis to a few good shocks before I got a humidifier.  So, the hard disk failure is probably my fault.  I'd like to replace it with a solid state hard disk.  They're expensive, but I only need to run the operating system from it, so I don't need a real big one.

No comments:

Post a Comment