Search This Blog

2015/10/04

Log 2015100401

The Robot's cables can mount hard disk drives to the motherboard itself.  I have some there.  But if you want to have a faster system, one of the things that you might do is install what's called a "RAID" controller.  That's when you plug your drives into an expansion card, which frees up some of the motherboard's resources.  Well, my RAID controller might be bad.

Right now, the RAID's driver is installed in Windows, but the three drives assigned to are unplugged pending further investigation.  The next step is to shut The Robot down, plug one in, turn it on and see what happens.  If it doesn't work, shut it back down, unplug that drive, plug another one in and repeat.  If it does then plug them both in and see what happens?

On my white boards, I took a list of 38 applications that need to be installed to The Robot.  When the RAID works again, they'll be strategically installed on 3 of the 4 hard disk drives.  The one that, for the most part, will not have anything installed to is the main drive which stores the operating system.  I don't want it doing much of anything else except Windows.  That should keep the drive's read/ write from being diverted.

Now by using expansion network, video and sound cards, I've been able to turn off their motherboard counterparts off, which also frees up more resources.  Only the front side and rear mounted USB ports divert the mother board now.  The motherboard is maxed out on RAM (memory).  Since I bought a cheaper motherboard 8 years ago, it has a PGA 775 socket, which was used in the Pentium 4 systems. I have Intel Core 2 Quad CPU's in it, so it too is maxed out.  In order to upgrade the system, it will require a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, Windows 10 and possibly the replacement of cards that I already own (the one's that I already have may not be compatible with the other upgrades).

I just got my security suite running.  The problem is that The Robot needed things from the web before it was installed.  Even with Windows Firewall, it's a ticking clock.  When I use to have a computer repair business, a system using broadband Internet usually takes on mal-ware, or viruses in about 40 minutes of being on-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment