Search This Blog

2015/10/05

Log 2015100501

So far, I think that the RAID controller checks out.  The third hard disk and a DVD-RW drive worked without freezing the computer in DOS before booting Windows.  But the fourth hard disk froze the computer just as it was getting it's initial account of devices connected to the RAID.

The fourth device is a refurbished 750GB Seagate hard disk from Micro Center in Mayfield Heights of Cuyahoga County.  I just purchased it about 3 days ago.  Right now, I'm doing a total wipe of the Track 0 and Master Boot Record.  It's hooked up as an external drive to my laptop right now and is slated to take about 11 hours to complete.  At this point, I could have made an error when I partitioned and formatted it earlier.  But this "scrub" that I'm running is necessary to determine that.  All this is just to start working on the Ohio Transit Hiker's Resource (OTHR) maps.

Like I said before, the computer boots fine with only three of the hard disks.  But the fourth is the largest one and is slated to be the main repository for my documents, map repository and media library.  If I cross my fingers, this drive will work and I can get some additional information on two cards to download drivers, install them, my 38 applications and be ready to work on the OTHR on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment