Search This Blog

2015/04/27

Log 2015042701

Yesterday, I began clearing obstructions on the Whipple Section in the Little Muskingum River flats in the Wayne National Forest - Marietta Unit.  Upon descending 300ft to get to them, I realized that my body was fatigued as my hip flexors were "hot" on the way down.  Prior to going there, I transfered the load in my 18L back pack to my 65L rucksack and packed a few more things.  But I realized that the detachable drink tube piece for my 4L, internal water bladder back at the storage point.  Today, I had to mange with with my 2 - 1L plastic water canisters.  Since my body still runs with my old Army system, I wish I had brought more.  My dehydration probably led to those flexors getting hot.

The obstructions that were being cut were of particularly stubborn wood.  I stayed down trail for about 7 hours today, but I must admit that I really didn't get much done.  The river flats are about a mile long.  This is where Whipple Section - Buckeye/ North Country National Scenic Trail is on sand.  If I were hiking it, this place would slow me down for that alone.  But it's a great view and is well worth going down there.  I'd have to say that it's my favorite part of the section.  Our low point is also down here at 609ft above sea level.

The following is a picture of a deficiency that's also in the flats.  I tried to pull it down with a rope, but it wouldn't budge.  But my assessment of it is that it's split apart and just resting up there.  The only thing that's keeping it up is it's heavy weight and gravity.  I think that I'll be able to safely get this down with a pole saw from a distance.  Because going up there with a ladder and trying to use the carpentry saw could be risky.  So would cutting the base to make it buckle.  This tree is heavy, yet massively termite infested.


Whipple Section - Buckeye/ North Country National Scenic Trail along the Little Muskingum River in the Wayne National Forest - Marietta Unit.
As you can tell by the second picture, the BT/NCNST passes right under it.  It's up there, it's split.  At the moment, it's not going anywhere, but I'm not confident that it will stay that way for long.  So, this thing needs to come down.  Anyways, if the trail is 3ft wide, then some part of this within my 8ft high.  At the date of this log, this deficiency is still up as shown and probably won't be taken down until 02 May 2015.

Pts. 06 - 05 is several miles long and has the largest concentration young growth forest on Whipple Section.

No comments:

Post a Comment