Search This Blog

2019/10/29

Motorhome Winter Strategies

Unlike last February, I have a spare 30/ 15amp mini tandem breaker on board here in the motorhome.  The Coleman roof top unit is a heater/ air conditioner.  Right now, at 48°F outdoors, I have the heater set at minimum in my 31 year old Itasca Sundancer.  The indoor temperature is reading 66°F.  There is no wind to speak of here.

Last year, I used 14 bales of hay to insulate the outside bottom of my motorhome.  This year, I have some kind of padded material and it's outside is kind of foil like.  I'd even call it "space age?"  But I just now had a thought.  What if inside the shielding, I could stuff the bottom to make it more solid?

What I have coming up is I have to replace the hot water tank.  Then I'll have to search for gas leaks.  I'm certain that there's one at the stove.  In case things go wrong, I need to be able to bypass bad systems, or directly plug them in one at a time.  That could at least entail the installation of a liquid propane coupler from the outside to the in so that something like a 20# tank can remain out.  Of course, a line from the inside port would connect to the hot water heater, stove/ oven or heating systems.

Or could I install shut off valves at each appliance and just use the main input line?  If I did both strategies, I could accommodate a LP heater.  A cylindrical shaped object that costs about $150 present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment