Search This Blog

2018/09/28

Water Data Continued for ADT - Nevada

The re-organization of the water GIS data for the American Discovery Trail - Nevada continues.  There are dozens of intermittent, or perennial ponds, particularly in the area of Lahontan Lake on Segment 5 of that state's turn-by-turn guide.  I was able to determine their intermittence using the symbols as stated by my USGS Topo overlay in Google Earth.  Those ponds and lakes must be eliminated in order for thru adventurer's to, perhaps, rely on the data for water resupply.  You might say that this project is like bringing water to the desert, but it's more like finding it.

For those of you who don't know, there several methods for purifying water down trail  The first is boiling.  The second is with using water purification tablets, or drops.  But for some of the information that I'm gathering, it maybe necessary to use a portable device to filter the water due to sediment and micro organisms which may be present in the water source?

I own a Katadyn Hiker Pro which is rated to filter 99.9% of protozoa cysts from a natural water source.  At one point, Katadyn had a video of somebody filtering from a stagnant pond.  There's a "rock, paper, scissors" to what I do.  And being down trail is better than a desk.  Sitting here in Ohio, I highly doubt that I'll be in Nevada anytime soon.

The idea to what I'm doing is to see to that ADT - Utah and Nevada can support multi-day hiking at roughly 10 miles per day.  And that support entails water.  It's resupply is a more intensive need.  At some point, I'll have to go back through Utah and Nevada's water data and eliminate places that are on private property. 

But I'm running out of time.  Utah's state coordinator needs this data is whatever shape it's in two days.  Then I have to affect a repair on my car on the third and resume Adventurer's Project's normal operation afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment