Search This Blog

2018/09/10

Almost: Off-line Verizon Coverage Map

I almost found an off-line method of knowing whether one is in Verizon Wireless signal on the Buckeye Trail.  I've been working with the "Verizon Cell and Data Coverage" layer on ArcGIS Earth.  Then I got the idea that maybe there was a mobile edition and there was (Explorer for ArcGIS).  I downloaded it on Android from the Google play store.

I had the sneaking suspicion that the same layer is available there and it was.  Sometime after that, I shut off the "Mobile Data" on my tablet, restarted the program and the cell signal data wasn't available.  I then tried to to find a way to download it for off-line use, but it seems that ArcGIS made that impossible?

Oh well.  It would have been a very valuable tool for smartphone carrying hikers.  But, I salvaged that session by plotting waypoints along the various highways and county roads that we have here in our sizable cellular signal gap (aka "The Gap").  I'll know now where the signal begins and ends, as well as a number of places that are off highway that are near by.  I plan on using it if I ever get out to check on those flood levels I mentioned in the previous log.

No comments:

Post a Comment