Search This Blog

2018/09/11

Changing the Motorhome's 110V/ 120V Receptacles

I was going to call it a day, but I got the nerve to replace another electrical outlet.  I replaced the one in the main bed area to no avail.  But I found the one that is a junction.  I wanted 3 RV outlets, but Stoney's RV in Cambridge of Guersney County only had one in stock.  So, I tried to replace the one at the junction from the one that I took out of the main bed area and that didn't work.

I have a catalog from Stoney's and I think I'll have to place an order for two RV type 110V/ 120V electrical outlets and one standard household one for the outside.  My motorhome is 30 years old and it's just time for them to be replaced.  I'm running my mini fridge on a high quality extension cord that I'm running out of the motorhome's driver's side vent window and into the 120V receptacle on the power box outside.

The motorhome's walls are too thin for electrical boxes like you'd see behind a typical house's 110V/ 120V power outlets.  RV electric receptacles have this back plate that snaps on the main body.  The wires go into slots. The wires and the slots are tough, so I learned today how to use a "C" clamp  to make the two pieces snap together.

And in case you were wondering... I shut off the power before I started working on these.

In the future, I'd really like the converter to supply power to the auxiliary batteries.  When I get that fixed, I can install a switch in the cab that would toggle between it's batteries and the auxiliaries.  If I can do that, then my stereo, which has a remote control could be used from the chassis.  It has a Bluetooth and auxiliary input jack, so I could connect the laptop, smartphone and tablet sound to it.  I could also power the CB with the weather band radio to it without having to worry about draining the cab's batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment