Search This Blog

2018/09/25

Hydrography Download for ADT - Nevada and Re-Organization of Data

I already have the National Hydrography Dataset (concerning streams, brooks, creeks, runs, rivers, ponds, lakes and oceans) for the American Discovery Trail - Utah.  But, it's been hell in a hand basket getting it for ADT - Nevada.  But I found it.  On https://catalog.data.gov/dataset/usgs-national-hydrography-dataset-nhd-downloadable-data-collection-national-geospatial-data-as, click once on the FTP "Download" option. 

Now, I'm an IBM based computing expert and it didn't dawn on me until late that the next page was to an open File Transfer Protocol server.  When I figured it out, I copied the address in the web browser, then I switched to Windows Explorer and pasted the location in it's address field.  I use shapefiles and it seems that USGS has the National Hydrographic Dataset for Nevada in a ZIP file.  Its somewhere in the ballpark of an 800MB download.  My connection is slow for the time being, so it's looking like it's going to take over 2 hours?

I just sifted through my ADT data on Google Earth Pro today.  I seems that I moved the campsite/ campground files?  When the BTA GIS/ GPS Repository was still online, the tracks were downloadabale for free.  That means that I had to split my BT data between items that could be found with that information verses things that could only be found in the map & guides that one has to purchase.  ADT never had this information.  My tracks are based on its copyrighted and proprietary turn-by-turn guides which never had this circumstance.  Therefore, all information that's generated and based on them are closed (not open to the general public).  And that's what I was compensating for. I was moving it's campsite/ campground data from the "open" folder to the "closed." 

No comments:

Post a Comment