Search This Blog

2018/06/04

Whipple

Last year, the thru hikers on the Buckeye Trail told me about Buckeye Trail's estimated off-road footprint and how they were confused by the statement because it includes anything that is "off-road." It could be paved multi-use trails, so it's not necessarily footpaths.

Adventurer's Project's upcoming website has an "About the Trail" section and it needs a more broken down estimate. So, I drove most of the Whipple Section's roads and started tracking the pavement with my smartphone's GPS. It was a good day in the sky and since nobody is probably going to need to navigate with it, I have a windshield mount and out of convenience, I choose to do it with the smartphone. Afterwards, I can edit it in Google Earth sometime and send the records up to the BTA.

I did not track the on-road portion between Whipple 02 - 03 (10/2010 map & guide). But I drove through the backcountry for 42 miles and only used about 3 gallons of gasoline in my Chevy HHR.

I was expecting to have used much more. The roads on this section weren't in "awful" shape today with the exception of Kohl and Tittle Run. But that's their usual pattern anyways and I still got over their rough spots. I'll get to Road Fork sometime. But I really have to get some trail maintenance done.

No comments:

Post a Comment