Search This Blog

2018/06/10

Hike Ohio Rack Cards and Local Economics

The Hike Ohio rack cards are now posted inside and out of the Tourism Cabin in Caldwell of Noble County.  I'm from up near Cleveland and I wish that I had somebody from one of the chambers of commerce tell me about every factor that is economically adverse to this part of Southeast Ohio.  I've got the feeling that the trails in this area are going to be very tied to that situation.

I've been mulling over the situation in Monroe County some.  The Wayne leases hunting land.  I'm not sure about the scope, but lets say that it's to two or three dozen hunters?  Economically speaking, most of them might be local?  Out of all of them, they might require services in Marietta, Newport, New Matamoras of Washington County and then Woodsfield of Monroe County.  That's spreads them out and they probably gravitate to Marietta?

The mountain bikers don't come any further north than the Archer's Fork Loop.  That puts them as far north as New Matamoras of Washington County and they likely gravitate to Marietta.  North of there, I do no know of any ATV or Jeep networks, so that leaves Buckeye/ North Country and two NFS campgrounds in part of Monroe County.  From the adventurer's view point, The Wayne's federal property is too fragmented.  From what I understand, that's the biggest contributing factor to it being (at least in my opinion) an under performing forest.  But from the local's view point, the forest has a massive presence where the federal government has acquired good farm land to expand itself.

Buckeye/ North Country in the area has always been "disadvantaged."  But it's hiking numbers have been bottomed out for a long time and we have nowhere to go but up from here.  I just commented on the Crooked River Chapter of the Buckeye Trail Association's Facebook group that we have "so little to loose and so much to gain."  Even if it's just by trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment