Search This Blog

2018/05/19

What to Do Near Road Fork Section 05/19/2018


Last week, I was securing my project's place at the Backhome Appalachian Arts & Music Festival for us to do some trail promotion at the Wetzel County Convention & Visitors Bureau in New Martinsville, WV.  When I was at the CVB, I got a copy of their visitors guide.  Our 2nd priority is increasing the foot traffic on our portion of the Buckeye Trail (North Country concurrent).  Our corner of the trail is just about the furthest place for most of Buckeye Trail hikers to drive to.  When I show up to TrailFest for just one day and drive back to Painesville, they sometimes look at me like I'm crazy.  So, judging by that, I think it's logical to assume that they might prefer to overnight in the area.

The question that I try to answer is what are they going to do when they're here.  Most of them are not going to hike an entire summer's day.  They might want to get out and do something?  But it's a double edged sword too as this might give me clues as to where I can post a flier, or lay down rack cards and brochures?

I know volunteers who maintain a segment because it's their place to get away and find peace.  But that doesn't speak for me.  And if everything that I've gone through in the last 3 years doesn't result in a sizable increase in the annual numbers on our extent of the trail, then everything that I've gone through is in vain.  The BTA can give us a Work Week, North Country can send weed whackers and DR mowers all they like.  But in the end, those bodies are the only thing that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment