Search This Blog

2017/05/22

The Katy Trail

I've been mapping camping/ lodging on distance trails for a long time.  The Katy Trail's "Trip Planner" is remarkable.  I was thinking that one could be done with some webpages and an in-site Google Search widget.  But this is more complicated.  I'd say that somebody programmed some kind of database.  It might be a basic looking site as of this date, but this a marvel to me.  Between the campgrounds and lodging, it picked up a lot that I originally missed.  And, I'm not known for being sloppy about these things.

It turns out that I didn't loose all my work when Google Earth crashed earlier.  I only lost half.  I did the state park overlays and wildlife management campsites quickly.  Then I got American Discovery Trail (ADT) - Nevada and Utah's state park campgrounds, grocers and post offices mapped.  At this point, I don't think there's much more I can throw at it. Later on, I'll run a comparison with data from freecampsites.net.

Right now, I don't know if I've nullified the water resupply issues in the ADT's deserts.  And the reason that is is that I have no idea what National Forest Service campgrounds are Class A?  Another problem is that a document needs to be drawn up detailing the mileages, resupply and zero days of an average thru hiker.

No comments:

Post a Comment