Search This Blog

2017/05/14

Mapping Illinois DNR

It probably took me about 90 minutes to run through the full listing of state parks, forests, natural areas, conservation areas, fish hatcheries and so on for Illinois.  Since I'm unfamiliar with the state, each entry one had to be tried and it's location pin pointed in Google Earth and found to be roughly within 4 miles of the trail before I saved them.  The result was 20 reservations being on, or near the American Discovery Trail - Illinois on both mid-west routes.  Many of those will need maps overlaid.  Illinois Department of Natural Resources did not make this easy for me.  Some of the entries had incorrect names.

I think I'm going to hold off on the overlaying of maps and make sure that Indiana DNR reservations get plotted next. Then I'll overlay.  Once done, the overlays for the mid-west routes will be done except for Colorado.  I plan on doing the Western Region in it's own phase.

I'm out to map more camping areas afterward.  With the overlay opacities set from 50% to 80%, a placemark/ waypoint could be dropped on the road intersection with the last GIS'ed road.  That way, if they're getting directions on some kind of GPS, it will take them right to the un-GIS'ed road.

In the future, it could take them to water and parking.  And all of this could be done by someone else.  One of the first thing one learns when they try Google Earth for the first time is how to drop a placemark.  This task is far simpler than the convoluted mapping that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment