Search This Blog

2017/05/21

Dispersed Camping, Arches NP on the ADT

ADT people - Dispersed camping is usually only permitted on BLM lands and certain National Forests. If your unfamiliar with it, usually the regulations are that you can camp anywhere as long as it's 150ft from a road, trail, trail head, established campground or recreation area. I've heard the Pacific Northwest Trail going as high as 300ft.

I just went back through my NFS data. Their statements on their website are confusing. But being in Ohio and knowing the regulations here (Wayne National Forest), I had a basis for comparison. Nonetheless, the dispersed camping data has been corrected. We've got it a little better than i had thought.

Basically, like The Wayne, you've got other forests out there that permit dispersed camping almost "stem to stern." In my map, those forests are colored "green." Then you've got some that permit dispersed camping, but only in certain areas. They're colored "yellow." And then you've got one like the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri, where we only pass next to a little portion of them. This is an example of a forest that only permits it in certain areas and none of them are within a hiker's patience (a quantifiable distance) from from trail. Those areas are colored "red."

I'm at the point now where I'm the most concerned about water resupply in the deserts. With all this lodging and campgrounds stuff that I've been doing, I'm going to plot the grocers and post offices for them only. I wonder how close to one resupply a day could I get??? The American Discovery Trail - Nevada by-passes Arches National Park. By the map, they could have routed through there on existing road and trail. Why they didn't? Well, it could be soil, or geology, or trail logistics. And sometimes, distance trails are not judged based on the traffic that it's currently producing, but how much they think it could do? I'm going to be working on this all day. This blog is "Treeman's Adventures and Volunteerism." You could probably just search for "Treeman's Adventures" from a search engine and get here.

1 comment: