Search This Blog

2015/08/13

2015081301

After completing the re-inspection for Whipple Section - Buckeye/ North Country National Scenic Trail off-road, I downloaded the track that I made for Pts. 04 - 01.  I have concluded that the BTA's GIS/ GPS Depository merged Whipple track measurement is accurate and that the guide on the Whipple Section, October 2010 is off by 0.4 miles between these points.  The actual measurement of Pts. 01 - 06 is 14.72 miles, for which the depository is 0.28 miles high and the guide is 0.42 miles too low.

The section crosses 35 stream beds in its off-road areas.  It has 77 deficiencies at present.  The entire 57.2mi section has 106 intersections.  18 of those are between roads on the off-road trail, 2 are for the Greenwood Trail, 2 are for the gated German Cemetery Rd/ T623 and the remainder are skid roads.  I still have yet to compare the forest map to my data and see if I missed any former roads.  The next step on those 18 are to explore and track them with my GPS.

The elevation profile on Google Maps' bicycling directions stated that it would be easier if I parked the car at Pt. 04 and cycled back from Pt. 01.  But I just found out today how much my road bike despises gravel roads.  It was rough.  I now know that I need a mountain bike to loop with on the BT.

No comments:

Post a Comment