Search This Blog

2018/04/15

Contributions

About 8 months prior to this the first log here, I was volunteering with the Buckeye Trail Association from the desk.  That's where I submitted two files.  One was my Generic Gear Inventory.  I was more of a hiker then and I trained as if I was going to be a thru hiker.  And I had enough equipment that I inventoried everything.  As far as I know, it's complete.  But, this wasn't for my own benefit.  It was supposed to be the list that the end user could draw from so that they'd never forget anything.  Day hikers often do.

Afterwards, I went on a GPS mapping project and named all of the local and distance trails that the Buckeye comes in contact with.  I believe there were 144 total?  But the end result of this subproject was so massive that I requested to scale it back and only mention the reservations that the trail is on.  The data from that resulted in the creation of the Other Trail Connections webpage.  It in my task list, but my data on the governmental reservations for the Buckeye Trail is probably better now than what I was using 5 years ago on this project.  The BTA's map team might like it if I can pin point the approximate locations of all of the trail intersections?  In my records, each section has a "data" folder for things like this.  Right now, most of them only contain the section's low and high points.

And about those... I'm native to Lake County, Ohio.  It's highest point is the USGS hill "Little Mountain" that use to be on the Buckeye Trail.  The second highest point is on it's ridge and that's known as "The Knob."  The third highest point is the USGS hill "Gildersleeve Mountain" and the Bedford Section is presently on the side of that.  I guess these are kind of novelties where I come from.  And that's why I determined the section high and low points.

With my data, I determined that the highest point on the Buckeye Trail was someplace totally unexpected.  It ended up being on North Cheshire Street in the Village of Burton in Geauga County, which is in NE Ohio.  At 1,332ft in elevation, it is also the highest point among the BT, North Country and American Discovery Trail in Ohio and Kentucky.  Buckeye was expecting this to occur on the Medina Section, or somewhere down in the south?

No comments:

Post a Comment