Search This Blog

2018/04/16

BT 10 Miler Camping/ Lodging Streak and Throttle Position Sensor

About 2 years ago was when I completed a diagnostic on the Buckeye Trail concerning it supporting continuous hikes at generally 10 miles per day.  It's an initiative of the Buckeye Trail Association.  When I did the diagnostic last, I found that the longest "streak" that the trail's logistics could support was 32 days at this rate.  But, with a couple of new campsites, and some "hacks" that I recently discovered, this increased by 10 days.

In the future, what I have to do is what I call a "mock hiker."  It's a written simulation of the trail.  Once I do that, I'll need to use Google Earth to make what is written into a graphic displaying color coded tracks (like the line that you follow in your GPS).  They'd be coded green for routes of 10.0 miles or less, yellow for 10.0 to 12.5 miles and red for anything that exceeds 12.5.  With the 42 day streak that I just mentioned, that's from the West Union Section, Point 21 (02/2010 map & guide) to the Pemberville Section, Point 02 (03/2018).  I don't know how many miles that is, but it's roughly 7-1/2 of the Buckeye Trail's 26 sections, or about 29% of it's circuit.  And the vast majority of that is North Country Trail concurrent.

My mechanic came by to check the motorhome's idle.  It was surging by 200RPM's when parked.  He took off the "dog house."  On the older Ford Econoline vans, you can reach the front of the engine through the hood.  But if you needed to work deeper inside, there's a cover that comes off in the cab which exposes the back of the engine called the "dog house."  And he was back there spraying carburetor cleaner trying to get a leak to suck it in and gunk up the engine which would cause it to hesitate.  Apparently it will do that because carburetor cleaner isn't combustible.  But if the engine did hesitate, he'd know what vacuum hose did it?  He didn't find any leaks.

We drove it for about 13 miles and when we got it back, he took some wire and tripped the diagnostic port so that it would start flashing the check engine light and blink a code.  The vehicle runs the first generation of the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD I) and it displayed Code 22, which is a malfunction of  the throttle body sensor.  I purchased the replacement and it will be going in tomorrow.

I've never been good at blink codes.  And the new Bluetooth devices that you plug in to your car is for OBD II.  I have one in my Chevy HHR.  But they don't make this for OBD I.  But I just bought a converter cable and it should arrive here in four days.  The next step is to purchase another Bluetooth diagnostic module.  I'll just zip tie it to the side of the engine compartment and keep it there full time.

No comments:

Post a Comment