Search This Blog

2017/02/13

Motorhome Optimism

What I think happened to the motorhome a few months ago was that I overheated the high pressure fuel pump for too long.  Before (as mentioned in previous logs) I was driving it on two lane highways where I wasn't always maintaining the same speed.  So, I put it on the interstate for the first time to see if holding 55MPH was gentler and could get me further.

As per the record, that was the day that I had it wrecked (towed) 45 miles back to storage.  Where it stopped, I wasn't anywhere near an auto parts store.  So, what I'm about to tell you is that this is probably going to be an expensive fuel pump.  I think that I probably overheated it?  And I believe that when I replace it and charge the battery, that this thing is going to come on.  And when it does, it will have more than enough life to make it to my other repair site, where I'll replace the gas tank, sending unit (reports the fuel level) and the low pressure fuel pump where the current one is likely dead right now.

After replacing those, I'm going to change the fuel filter and high pressure pump again. Once all that's done, this should run well.  But I should get a fuel pressure testing kit from the auto parts store to make sure it's up to specs.  I'm generally optimistic, but I don't let it get to my head yet.

I have a 1988 Itasca Sundancer 24ft motorhome with a Ford Econoline 350 (E-350) cab.  My owner's manual is long gone.  The pdf materials that I have don't state it.  And I'll need to get it weighed with low gas in the tank and absolutely nothing in the chassis so that I can come up with a number of what I can haul inside and tow.

Right now, the tow rating for a similar 1993 model states the tow rating as being 7,200lbs.  My car and it's tow dolly would only weigh about 3,600lbs.  Dollying the car would entail rewiring the motorhome's electronic braking system.  Mine is old style.  It has a mechanical bar attached to the stem of the brake pedal that sends electrical current from a box under the dash to a tow hitch wiring, and then to braking system on a trailer, or dolly.  At that point, I could have brakes on all 3 axles.

The utility hauling trailer that I've towed with my Chevy HHR has been so light that it's never needed this system.  It would still be a good safety measure to have.  But the trailer would probably need a new axle to accommodate it.  It's having body issues as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment