Search This Blog

2016/11/24

Log 2016112301

I have a merged GPS track for the North Country Trail - Pennsylvania in the Allegheny National Forest.  It's coming in at 96.1 miles long with a working elevation track.  Google Earth has the track in one of it's layers.  But pedestrian directions on either The Robot or the laptop aren't working.  And they're not on Google My Maps at all.  But I find it on Google Maps when I zoomed in to 200ft scale.

What I did was break up the task into 6 parts.  Then I used coordinates from Google Earth and the location of each parts terminator, dragging the route on Google Maps to the correct track.  After each part, I copied the URL of the web page and performed a GPX conversion on GPSVisualizer using it.  I saved it to the hard drive and opened it in Google Earth as I go.

I made sure that all of the terminators were touching each other except the outside two of the whole project.  Then I saved the folder with the modified tracks.  In Google Maps, I did everything in the same direction, so I didn't have to worry about reversing anything.  I then went to convert that file to GPX and merged everything together in GPSVisualizer and that's how I came up with the master modified track.

There were times when Google's track and the North Country Trail Association's differed.  Was there a re-route?  The NCTA's data might be more accurate?  But then again, it's been a while since those tracks were released.  Since I'm not there in person, I pretty much just had to pick one.

Now I've been contributing my high and low point data on the North Country Trail Association's Facebook group.

No comments:

Post a Comment