Search This Blog

2016/10/16

Log 2016101601

There was the question of how long the hi pressure inline fuel pump in my motorhome could go for without taking a break on the freeway?  I just recently confirmed that it can handle those roads.  It wasn't a matter of the wind, but the pressure in the tires at the time.  And I was wondering if it would fare better at a constant 55MPH instead of 55, 45, 35 & 25 on the country highways that I was driving before.  Turns out, it's inconclusive.

The motorhome ran fine for 45 miles and there wasn't a sign of hesitation until I got off the freeway to try and re-enter going the other direction.  It was as if the engine had enough fuel to barely stay on.  And pressing on the accelerator only revved the engine a little while it was still rolling.  I had just enough momentum to pull into a gas station, stop, turn the engine off and give it a break like I've been doing.

Well, it wouldn't start again.  In the accessory position, I get the noise like the fuel pump's turning on.  But when I try to start it, the starter cranks, but the compression cycle doesn't start.  Right now, my guess is that the mechanical portions of the electric pump are damaged.  And the driving that I've done prior has damaged it little by little before this.  In weeks past, I had be concerned about the quality of the engine's idle sound.  And the fact that when I did the last 90 minute test, I pulled into a campground, stayed for 2 nights and while it got me home the next day, the quality of the engine's sound wasn't as good as it was.

I have AAA Premier RV+, so I called them and they didn't have anyone who could get it and offered to reimburse me if I could find someone.  Well, the gas station that I was at was very easy going about me staying there until the morning and that's what I did.  I called AAA again and they still couldn't get me.  So, I made arrangements myself and now I have to submit for reimbursement my $475 bill for about a 48 mile trip and some labor.

When the tow truck operator lifted the front end, he had to do something at the rear axle.  And apparently, one of my U joints came loose from the drive shaft.  It's OEM from 28 years ago and I had never seen it before, but he was unable to get these little rods that line the inside of it back right because neither one of us had any grease.  But if it was that easy, I'd rather replace it.  He said that they could have come loose and the drive axle could have dropped when I was driving?

Well, if the high pressure pump is immediately the culprit, installing a new high pressure in line pump is easy.  The problem is that I have a driveway that I can install in the gas tank and peripherals. The best date to do that is coming up soon and I'm really out of money.  If I decide to go through with it, it's not just one fuel pump, but two to move it and get the full repair perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment