Search This Blog

2016/09/12

Log 2016091201

I toured part of my trail promotion, Route 1 discovery trip today that took me through places like Powhatan Point, Ohio, Moundsville, New Vrindaban, Littleton, Hastings, Reader and New Martinsville of West Virginia.  I use the Locus Pro app on my Android based smartphone.  And apparantely, it no longer supports maps from Map Quest.  So, I've had a difficult time finding something for the United States to take place of it's road map.  What I have won't allow me to download maps for offline use and most of the this trip was offline.  I had to rely on my GPS track that I made for these routes on a blank map.  I ended up missing a few turns because I couldn't distinguish between a curve and another road.  When the smartphone came back into cell service, the points around the map wouldn't zoom it.  So, I was lucky to see that someplace was a town.

Looks like I'll have to go with USGS Topo's now.  They're better for hiking. Meanwhile, I discovered that I can download maps in my Google Maps app that covers all the routes, but they expire in one month.  I can also use it to view a trail's track.  If this pertains to topographic maps then, Locus might be on it's way out?

No comments:

Post a Comment