Search This Blog

2016/04/22

Log 2016042201

With a scanner, I haven't perfected the use of the Optical Character Reader (OCR). If I did, I could back-up my paper map and guides to a JPEG (.jpg) format image file. At that point, the OCR would detect the words on the page and I'd be able to select, highlight, copy, then paste them into the properties of various parts of the properties of my GPS data. That way when I uploaded it to my hand GPS, or smartphone, I'd have the text there instead. But for now, my Garmin eTrex 20 hand GPS won't read more than a line or so of the properties text. However, my smartphone's mapping app will read everything. I just thought about it... since I haven't mastered the OCR, I could scan the image, then use Microsoft Paint to crop the text and save it to a new file. After the cropping is done, I could add them as an image overlay and position them in the right spots and my smartphone app should pick up on those. Personally, I would never distance hike without paper resources. So for me, it's just that when I'm mapping at home, sometimes I have to consult the paper map and guides and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

State park and forest maps often come in the Portable Document File (PDF) format. Well, the only thing that Google Earth will overlay is a JPEG (.jpg) image. When you want to overlay your PDF map, it needs to be converted. So far, I've been using the web converter at http://pdf2jpg.net. It's best that after you convert, that you open it into something like Microsoft Paint, crop that one document it into several smaller chunks. That will make it easier to reposition, rotate and re-size in Google Earth. Smaller images will allow you to focus on detail in a smaller area as you try to match the curves in the local roads. With some maps, that's futile. Seldom do I ever get them perfect. And maps from the Ohio Department of Natural Resource - Division of Parks are hopeless. But if they're in sync, or somewhat, you might be able to trace a track (by drawing a "path") that you could upload to a GPS enabled device in the event that the various downloading communities don't have a file for it. About ODNR - Parks, an overlay of their maps might be good for making placemarks/ waypoints for locations such as "disc golf" and "shower houses." That might be good for organizational prep if the park had to be scouted for opportunities in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment