Search This Blog

2016/04/10

Log 2016041001

My Garmin eTrex 20 is bricked.  Either on batteries or when connected to my computer via USB, the Garmin logo comes up, but it does not proceed to load any of the maps.  It won't even hard reset.  But that's fine because I have a back-up unit.  It's a brand new eTrex 20 that for some reason, I found my previous one and I couldn't take the new one back to the store.

Well, before it totally bricked, I was able to access it's internal memory and I got a waypoint for 1 of 3 primitive fords on Tittle Run Rd/ Twp Hwy 19, which is on the Whipple Section - Buckeye Trail/ North Country Temporary Connector.  That means that I'm 2 surface stream waypoints shy of a complete set.  The trouble is that I should already have those other two ford waypoints.  Last year, I'm certain that I collected waypoints for all 3.  So why is there only one???

The only answer that I could come up with was that I only had my laptop at the time.  And the waypoints were uploaded to it's Google Earth application.  When I finally got back to my oversized desktop computer, I must have backed up it's Google Earth data, then imported that to the laptop and deleted it's original file.

Anyways, I completed making placemarks for items mentioned in the Whipple Section's guide.  Tomorrow, I'll probably adjust it's 8mi polygon down to a 6mi and that will match what I've already done for the Road Fork Section.  The next step will be to create these zones for the Belle Valley and Stockport Sections entirely considering that part of them are on The Wilderness Loop.  When we go into trail promotion, I want to be prepared. If we get offers for camp hosts, I'll want to know right a way if they're in range.  But I've also got to expand that zone as much as I can possibly get away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment