Search This Blog

2013/08/31

Log 2013083003

I've been shopping for a new smartphone lately, but the only one's available at retail at Sprint and Samsung with a pullout keyboard are the 3 year old D-700 that I already have, or a Motorola Photon that doesn't have any more memory that I already have.  It might be time to break down and purchase a new unit that only has an onscreen keyboard.

The downside to that is that is it might become more susceptible to the cold when temperatures drop below 34°F.  The pros are that I'd have a lot more smartphones to choose from with better CPU's, RAM memory and international storage.  There's a couple things that I insist on and that is it must do everything I'm already doing on it and having a USB Hub that can plug in external hard disk drives.  Also, It must fit the new external microSD High Capacity (HC) disks.  I could care less about the 4G LTE as long as still has the standard 3G.

Regardless, the device is running out of RAM, onboard and external storage.  There's not much more that can be added to it.  I might have to reset the unit back to its factory state to get rid of unnecessary application updates.

Both data and voice coverage areas for Verizion look surpurb in more remote areas.  But with the new lower powered cellular signal repeater that I still plan on installing, I could probably still beat it on Sprint.  And anyways, Verizion's coverage area isn't perfect and I'd still need the repeater.  Considering that the repeater runs on CDMA for voice and EVDO for data, which both companies use those protocols, switching to Verizon is still an option.  In fact, for what I'm paying now, it looks like they're about $20 cheaper per month.

I spent the afternoon and evening shopping today shopping for items, mostly other than ones that pertain to The Cramper.  I did purchase a new windshield mounting cell phone holder.  I can't go with a vent mount because my smartphone has a tenancy to overheat and my cup holders are near the parking brake and are too low to make much use of them.  In theory, if I could rig up a mount that clamps to my laptop mount like an extendable desktop lamp, I might be able to maneuver it into places that are more convenient for me to use it from.

No comments:

Post a Comment