Search This Blog

2013/08/24

Propane Cylinder and The Cramper

The 1lb propane gas cylinder is really inefficient connected to the small grill. I'd say that it must have used it up in 5 days, compared to the range's 20.  But I was using it to bake potatoes on high heat the whole time.

In the 20# canister, when the valve is shut off, the line still retains enough propane burn for 3 minutes on one range burner.

In the last 12 days, there's been a temperature differential of 30° F.  We had a heat wave come in this past week and I was slightly uncomfortable then.  Prior to 12 days ago, during transport, the range lost one of its fuel regulation knobs.  But while cooking, it doesn't seem to get too hot to touch yet.

A couple days ago during resupply in the Village of Wellington, I procured a dish soap wand.  I was getting concerned about the rate in which the dish soap was being used.  Also, I was concerned about not being able to produce bubbles when I was canning. I'm hoping that the new wand will slow the rate of consumption down. Since it's new that remains yet to be seen.

These logs are public.  Blogger is owned by Google and my logs hit their search index pretty fast.  If anyone wishes to build a caRV, or Chevy HHRv, or a "Cramper" and is searching online about how to build such an improvised thing, they might want to consult every entry made here.

Right now, there are ways that The Cramper could be perfected.  The floor (for instance) does not need to be made of 3/4 ply held length wise by a system of 2x4's.  That ply could be 1/2" and the 2" x 4"s could be 2 x 2's if they were treated.  It will cost less to design and it will be easier to put together and take apart in camp.

My unit right now has a spoiler for the back end which supports a cooking area.  It uses spaces between the floor's 2 x 4" designed to mount the 32" foot of the floor.  In the back, I call these "expansion slots" and that's what my retractable cooking area mounts to.

Well, I used metal angles to mount the floor's 2 x 4"s to the ply.  They're about 1/16" thick and I didn't account for them.  Since my cooking area has 2 x 4's that slide into the expansion slots, the catch the metal angles and now that this The Cramper's 5th camp, the wood has settled and now they won't slide all the way in.  So, I'm going to need a plainer to shave down the 2 x 4"s so they'll mount again.

Ever since I've been cooking, water consumption has gone up from 8 to 22 liters a day.  When I was canning, it was about 78 liters then.

I still have
2 packages of egg noodles
26 unused pint size mason jars
24 bands and lids
5 pint chilli
1 pint lasguana (sp?)
1 pint cheeseburger meal
Most of a roll of tin foil 25yds x 12"
Most of a bag of potatoes
4 onions
1 1/2 green peppers
Majority of small tub of margrine
About 2lbs dry milk
About 8lbs sugar

Lasguana and the cheese burger meal were the latest canning experiments.  Since ground beef has worked well in my chilli, I decided to continue on with it.  I made it from boxed kits that I found at Aldi and so far in the last 12 days, the tops are still down.  But like always, it was a mess to clean up.
I washed everything in the wheel barrel that night.

6 screws holes on the long cooler stripped out and will no longer mount its lid. So I dismounted the remaining hinges and work with out them now.  I always place my 25lb iron disc weight and my 40lb weight vest before securing the trailer's load tarp over it every night.  So far, I have not had another mold infestation like last time.  But I have questions about using it in the rain as I'm not sure it will hold up with out all that pressure being on it while it's in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment