Search This Blog

2022/08/25

New Starter

 I replaced the starter on my 1987 Chevrolet (Chevy) G20 Sportvan.  The last one got submerged when I was trying to ford a stream in the road.  For those of you who don't know, in rural areas, they don't have bridges and culverts over every stream.  Sometimes you have to drive through them.  But my van got unexpectedly deep and the van stalled out in the middle of the stream.  Then it too AAA about 3 hours to come out and tow it about 2 miles.  I can't really remember the details.  Either starter got submerged, or it took on a huge splash of water?  Ever since, it worked, but not well.

So it's now replaced.  But I tried to unbolt the wires on the power distribution block, but it's probably original and never been disturbed before?  When I tried to loosen the bolts, both sides loostened, then got ceased and then wouldn't tightened again.  After I installed the starter, I tried to start up the van, but it was dead.  So I got the multimeter on the battery terminals and it had a charge.  I then probed the power distribution block and found that my loose connections were the problem.  Now I know that I probably should replace it and the woman at the auto parts store said that my local hardware store might have one?

As for now, the mileage on the van hasn't changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment