Search This Blog

2022/08/20

Rear Shocks, Leaf Springs, Battery Cables

 I started jacking up the back end of my 1987 Chevrolet (Chevy) G20 Sportvan to start working on replacing the rear shocks and leaf springs.  What I found out is that my 3 ton jack stands aren't tall enough if I set them to meet the van on the frame, which of course, it higher up than the axle that I normally do.  So, I got it into my head that I should get some concrete blocks from the hardware store.

At that point, I decided that I would start the van, drive to the auto parts store where I can do a back yard alignment on the way to the hardware store.  At that point, one click forward of the key and the fuel pump would come on.  But when I went to crank the engine, I lost all voltage.  Now, I'm finally at the point to where I'm replacing the battery cables.

I'm replacing them with 13 feet of 2 gauge wires.  It must have run about $64 for those?  Then what we think is the power distribution block, I have a new one of those coming in.  This is a tee consisting of 2 poles that multiple 10 and 8 gauge wires get bolted to.  The the positive wire to the fuse block comes off of that tee.  One of the wires mounted to this so called block, the other end was bolted into the top of my positive battery cable.  Well, it's a short 8 gauge cable and I'm tired of all this getting in the way when I'm working under the hood, particularly when I have to take the battery out.  So instead of the new 8 gauge wire going to the new positive battery terminal, I'm going to wire it all the way down to the starter instead.

    And it's possible that the starter finally went bad.  The last time that I had it tested, it had a hard time passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment