Search This Blog

2019/09/25

The Latest Episode

It feels like it was a bit of a battle today.  What I'm working on isn't really about priority.  It's more like finishing up projects that I started so I don't have too many things going on at once.  My 1987 Chevy G20 Sportvan's interior was stripped down by the previous owner.  Currently, it only has two seats in it.  I think that the passengers side came from a Dodge?  It was missing a seatbelt, so I installed an aftermarket one today.  It took some smoked drill bits and some retrofitting, but I got it done.  Adventurer's Project has people that could volunteer on trail maintenance, but they've been dependent on my wheels.

In December, January and February, I was in rehabilitation for a muscular lumbar injury that I got from hiking 5 years ago.  In February, the power in my motorhome that I'm living in went out.  I forgot to turn off the water and my hot water tank ruptured.  During this episode, I got in my car and went to a motel for a couple nights. 

As soon as I did that, the RPM's in my former 2008 Chevy HHR started jumping.  I thought it was from a clogged catalytic convert and kept driving on it.  In late April, I had to clutch replaced because it failed on the road.  In May, I replaced the oil valve gasket.  In June, I replaced the entire exhaust and the RPM's got a little better, but kept jumping.  I then had it towed to the shop where they diagnosed that the timing chain broke.  Apparently when that happens in engines like this, the engine is toast.  In the middle of July, the BTA had it's work week in this area and I got a ride for it.  In late July, I purchased my current 1987 Chevy G20 Sportvan.

I was refitting it through the month of August and September, but I managed to get some trail work done.  However last week, my automatic transmission locked up on me.  If I had to guess and had the stamina, I might be able to work on that in 2 days?  However, there is a possibility that the transmission was weak to begin with and it needs a replacement.  One of my neighbors told me that he knows of somebody who might have a van like mine with a working transmission in it?  He's a good guy with a truck and I might be able to ask him to help me and get it?

But right now, the seat belt was a good start.  I also ran a power wire from the light switch and ignition for four gauges that I need to install.  If I'm feeling up to it tomorrow, I plan on installing the various gauges to their appropriate places.  I have a voltmeter, oil pressure, engine temperature and tachometer.  I've never done them before.  So, testing and hunting things down and being new at it is going to take more time for me than another backyard mechanic.

The van has vacuum leaks that really ought to get found before it goes on the road again.  I have to spray brake parts cleaner to find it.  And the rear shocks need replaced and I have them.  At that point, I can then go after the transmission.  I've never serviced a transmission before, so all that newness is going to take some time.

So, for all those who might be thinking that they'd like to join me on trail maintenance on Saturday, September 28th, I have to cancel.  And I can not reschedule until this transmission situation is remedied.

No comments:

Post a Comment